3 Common Types of Ants in the House in Spring, Summer, and Fall, and How to Get Rid of them
Finding ants in the house during the months of Spring, Summer, and early Fall is a common problem for NJ and NY homeowners. Knowing what types of ants you are likely dealing with can go a long way towards helping you control the problem and prevent future ones. Below are the 3 types of ants that are most commonly found in NY and NJ homes during the warmer months, their behaviors, and things that can help prevent having ants in the house.
- Carpenter Ants, which are problematic because they are wood destroyers, set up shop inside your home, usually confined to areas of high moisture. There they excavate the wood to nest in. They don’t eat wood like termites. They are indeed a wood destroyer and should be handled by a professional pest control company. There are a few simple ways you can tell the difference between ant swarmers and termite swarmers.
- Odorous House Ants, which are found indoors, also usually create nests in areas associated with moisture, such as near pipes and heaters. These ants are not wood destroyers but are a nuisance to the homeowner invading kitchens in search of foods.
- Pavement Ants, also known as picnic ants, are given their name because they are usually found nesting under sidewalks, driveways, and foundations. Indoors these ants emerge under baseboards, expansion joints, and floor registers connected to heating ducts. They are not wood destroyers but are considered nuisance ants to homeowners as well.
- Every home or business is unique and prior to treatment should have an inspection done by a professional company.
- Around the exterior of the home, bushes, trees, should be cut back off of the foundation at least 2 feet around the entire home to keep it dry.
- Mulch beds should not be deeper than 3 inches and raked over annually.
- Fire wood should be stored away from the foundation as well.
Mrs. Bzzz Pest & Termite Solutions provides a Homecare Plus that incorporates the use of non-repellents in our ant control programs which allows ants to pick up the products undetected and transport it back to the colony. We also incorporate gel baits on the interior around plumbing areas prone to ant infestation. Mrs. Bzzz Pest & Termite Solutions services all of northern New Jersey as well as Rockland County New York, Orange County New York, and Manhattan New York. Contact us today! 1-973-291-3603.